It took me a long time to like Columbia. When we first moved here, I felt like I was the only person who didn't know everyone. I remember what it was like to go to the grocery store and be the only one that didn't know EVERYONE, and all those chatting groups were always clogging up the aisles! I have come to understand, though, that Columbia is a transient community, with the University and the Hospitals, so many people come and go that once you feel established, it is too much work to welcome newcomers. As Wendy told me one day, "you get to know them, really like them, then they leave, and when you have four kids whose friends are always leaving, it just gets too hard!"
But now, after more than 10 years, Columbia is home and a part of me will never leave it, even if we end up somewhere else, someday. And though I knoe I will NEVER get to be a native, I love those "seasoned" guys who can tell you when they finally paved Broadway (that may be an exaggeration, but I am not sure), or that they moved here when Boonville was bigger than Columbia... It is a remarkably supportive place. I have seen it in friends and groups, in starting a business, and now in our fight against cancer. We have spent many hours at Daniel Boone Little League, but I feel bad every year because, of course, it is one of those places you could spend more time, every helping hand matters, but time gets away... Roxanne asked one of the coaches if they could do something to help support and encourage Bo and they went above and beyond. During the post-season, they hold a runs campaign where they seek pledges and raise money for every run scored. This year they are calling it Runs For Bo. We will maintain an account at Boone County Bank, and while we will save it in case the need for experimental treatment becomes a possibility, our desire is to donate all money collected to a worthwhile children's cancer cause. There is no way to exptress gratitude for something this huge, but a huge thanks from the bottom of our hearts to all at DBLL will have to be a start. Oh, and they also made Bo an honorary member of the 12U All-Star Team--he couldn't be happier, but hopefully if all goes well, next year he will BE a 12U All-Star! Thanks so much, Lisa
This is the note Jay received from Mike:
Our coach, Mark, decided last night after our game that he wanted to talk to the team about Bo and have them sign a ball for him. Mark’s post game speech went a little longer than usual and I think some of the parents were wondering what was being said. Mark sent out the following e-mail this morning to let them in on what we were doing.
Mike
Parents, the other coaches and I spent a little extra time with the boys after yesterday’s game…not really all that much time spent talking about the baseball game (other than to applaud their gritty determination not to quit, but instead to fight and put themselves in a position to win…which they did in the 6th inning), but quite a bit of time spent talking about things far more important than runs on a score board… I wanted you to be in the loop as to our conversation…
In our Daniel Boone Little League family, there is a 10 year old player who has recently been diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer. His name is Bo. The story of how he was diagnosed is somewhat miraculous in and of itself. But, irrespective of how he was diagnosed, Bo has cancer. Bo has a rough road ahead of him. Bo needs friends and family to believe in him and to encourage him to fight. Bo will have to muster up the courage to believe in himself in the race he has been asked to run. And, above all, Bo needs the kind of faith that one can only have when believing in something much more important than runs on a score board…
So, as a team we talked about remembering what it means to have a hand in our huddle…today, tomorrow, and many days after the boys are done playing baseball. We talked about preparing ourselves to accept, embrace, and decide to fight when the trials of life come our way…whether it seems to us that those trials are “fair” or “unfair.” We talked about how the game of baseball teaches us how to handle that sort of adversity, but only if we understand what it really means to believe. We talked about Bo and, as a team, we talked about how we could try to be strong for him. We decided that Bo needed to have a hand in our huddle…that he needed to know that he was part of our team and we were part of his fight…that we want him to believe in himself, we want him to know that he has a team of friends and family that support him, and we want him to have faith that there is now, more than ever, all the reason to believe…truly believe. So, we prepared an invitation as only we know how to do…we signed one of our baseballs from the baseball bucket with a message on the ball that we want him to “fight, believe, and know that his pals from DBLL are here for him…” Coach Mike videotaped each of the boys signing on to the ball and voicing words of encouragement for Bo.
I firmly believe that things happen for a reason. Had we won the baseball game yesterday, I don’t think the concept of adversity…real adversity like that which Bo is faced with…would have been a message that would have been received with as much solemnity as it was in our team meeting after the game. For that, I am thankful that the boys had a learning opportunity that was much more important than what happened between the chalk lines yesterday.
Most of you know me pretty well, by now. I am an emotional and competitive son of a gun. When we play the game, I want the boys to lay their heart and passion on the line every time. They know that my expectation for success, on and off the field, has more to do with seeing the passion in their eyes than runs on a score board. Our boys have had more than their fair share of “victories” over the years. For that, I’m happy for them. But that’s not why I’m proud of them. I’m proud of them because I feel that I have known them long enough to know that each of them has a passionate heart for life.
There is not a baseball victory, trophy, or championship banner that I wouldn’t trade for Bo to win his fight for faith. I hope we all feel that way. I hope we will all keep Bo in our prayers. I hope that we will also pray for ourselves, as parents, that we keep perspective in defining the measuring stick of “success” for our sons as they compete as a team and a family on and off the baseball field.
I am, for sure, blessed to have each of you in my life. I am, for sure, blessed to have the opportunity to spend quality time with your sons. And, although I have never met Bo, I am blessed to have had his path cross mine.
Believe!
Mark
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Lisa
This is Cary Colbert, Wilson's mom the boys went to SCCS together a few years ago. When I got the e-mail from DBLL about "Runs for Bo" a tear fell down my face. I cried for Bo and your family as I cannot even imagine what you are going through. I also cried out of pride for such a great organization like DBLL and the coach who talked to his players about Bo, what a great man.
I am not sure how to talk to WIlson about his friend Bo (he loved hanging out with Bo and Pierce at SCCS and still mentions them and SCCS often). But I want him to know what Bo is going through so we can all keep Bo and Pierce and both of you in our thoughts and prayers.
Ironically Wilson is playing on one of the all-star teams for DBLL and has been in a slight hitting slump. I am going to tell him about "Runs for Bo" and hopefully he can hit a few for his buddy Bo! More important than runs, I hope it helps Wilson and all of us realize how precious life is and how just as that coach so beautifully stated, it is not so much about the number of runs on the scoreboard, but rather how you play the game and live your life. I hope this helps Wilson and all of us remember to live well and the keep the faith for Bo!
We plan on taking part in "Runs for Bo" but would love to do more. Please let me know if we can do anything for you guys or if Wilson can send something to Bo so he knows that his buddies are there for him. I know this can't be easy on Pierce either, if he ever wants to come hang out with Wilson let me know!!
You are all in our thoughts and prayers daily, and thank you for sharing this with all of us as I am glad to be able to keep up with how you guys are doing!
Cary
I am not sure how I am
Post a Comment